Vertigo in babies?

     After a terrible bout with vertigo, I was absolutely terrified.  Vertigo felt like a plane taking a dive with alot  of spinning. I know, some may say, "Oh, It's dizziness". Wrong!  You are so wrong! It's dizziness on steroids!! Only  I was so sick, my only recourse was to run to the ER.  Only, I couldn't drive and I had vomited so, I had to wait for a dear friend.  My episode lasted for more than an hour.  When I did get to the ER, I was still sick. Doctors and nurses tried everything.  Their last resort was Valium.  Oh my GOD! Valium that day, was a GODSEND! I'm not one for taking meds of any sorts but that day I was willing to try anything.  Valium worked wonders.  I was finally well enough to leave the hospital.

What is vertigo?  A sensation of spinning.  It's usually a symptom not a medical condition. (Mayo Clinic)

What is Valium? 
Valium is a sedative used to treat anxiety, muscle spasms and seizures.  It's a controlled substance and requires a prescription is needed.

What are medical conditions that can cause vertigo? There are many but to name a few:
  • Inner Ear disturbance
  • Motion sickness
  • Benign paroxysmal position- the most common cause of vertigo.
  • Infections: vestibular neuritis and labyrinthitis.
  • Circulation: a drop in Blood pressure 
  • Medications
  • Anemia
  • Anxiety and Neurological illness such as Parkinson's or multiple sclerosis. 

     Having this attack led me to think about a more vulnerable and susceptible group, babies.  I am grown.  I can speak for myself but suppose a baby gets this? Babies can only cry and they maybe even vomit. But, an unsuspecting parent may think it's colitis.  So, this led to research.  I wanted to know is it diagnosed in babies and how? Vertigo is a miserable feeling so I want to know what to look for.  Needless to say, there is very little research in this area.  There is one particular article that raised my eyebrows.  In the article, doctors and researchers are at odds about Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo occurring in children.  Some believe it can occur and others not so much.  One reason is that BBPV normally occurs in adults over 50 years of age and the other reason is BPPV has not been reported in children under 11 years of age.

    According to the article, "Benign paroxysmal vertigo of childhood: A review of literature 2004", BBPV in children was first reported in 1964 in 17 children (boy and girls) under 4 years old were observed. Their symptoms included sudden episodic sensation of spinning (vertigo) WITHOUT HEARING LOSS OR TINNITUS(ringing in the ears), loss of balance and staggering, expressions of fear, pallor, diaphoresis and occasional vomiting. These episodes would reoccur several times a month for several years, often disappearing by age eight.  After numerous incidences of BBPV was reported between the 1970's and 1980's, hence, BBPV in children was classified.  As I stated earlier, researchers are against this development due to its lack of report in children under 11 years old and belief that vertigo in children is most related to migraines and should be treated as a migrainous disorder or a combination of the two.
     I do believe that children of all ages can be afflicted with vertigo. The article clearly states, "children have less facility in describing(articulating) their sysymptoms". Children are susceptible to many illnesses as adult.  There is no evidence that vertigo can not occur. Simply to deny that fact based upon a lack of reporting is in my opinion ludicrous.  Babies can't talk so how would it be reported.  Unfortunately, many illnesses take years to be diagnosed.  For example , Multiple Sclerosis.  Vertigo is a symptom in this illness. It may only occur once and then years later other symptoms may occur that would lead to diagnosis.  The article suggest that BBPV is "common equally looked and misdiagnosed" in adults.  I am positive this is the equally overlooked and misdiagnosed in babies. 

Resource
Glenn Bateson.  "Benign paroxysmal vertigo of Childhood: A review of Literature". Paeditr Child Health. 2004 Jan; 9(1): 31-34.
Mayo Clinic
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, you think you are raising a respectful child? Think again!

Bird Flu found in Tyson Chicken Supplier!

ITS RACE WEEK!!! Dont be the POOPY RUNNER! 👇