Hospice: A rewarding and GHOSTLY experience!

     41 year old, "Brian", came to my facility after doctors diagnosed him with colon cancer and there was nothing further that could be done.  Brian was in late stages of the illness when first diagnosed unfortunately.  When he came to the facility, he was one of the kindest, sweetest and very thankful people evernight the night progressed, Brian's condition began to deteriorate.  I put a call into his to let them know and just in case anything happened to Brian, it wouldn't be a surprise.  They were so distraught and afraid to come to the facility.  They couldn't bare watching him take his last breath.  Every thirty minutes to an hour, check on him.  But, the last time I walked into his room, I knew it wouldn't be long and it was going to happen that night.  After I completed my rounds, I sat down briefly at my desk.  The lights on the desk flickered. I told myself, he's gone.  I went into the room and yes, he was gone.  I pronounced him dead and prepared his body (along with my wonderful aide) for his family to view.  I called the family to make them aware he had passed.  His sister said, "I have to ask, did anything weird happen when he passed"?  I told her yes, the lights at my desk flickered.  She replied, "they did here as well".  She stated family would be there.  I was so hurt.  This young man was around my age.  The most important aspect to remember in hospice is to never to become too attached.  It's hard sometimes.  I have had the opportunity to sit and hold hands with many people until they took their last breath.  It felt great to be there for them during that period.  Why? It's simple.   Everyone is human until their last breath.  
     Many people would never work in hospice due to being afraid of the dying.  They fear spirits also.  I believe in spirits too.  Brian's spirit was definitely present and he wanted me to know he was gone. He knew I cared deeply for him. I am grateful for that experience.  I told you he wathankful person. What do you think? Would you ever work in hospice? Believe in spirits? Tell me your experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, you think you are raising a respectful child? Think again!

Bird Flu found in Tyson Chicken Supplier!

ITS RACE WEEK!!! Dont be the POOPY RUNNER! 👇